Wednesday, September 28, 2011

 
This week I attempted my first batch of Green Tomato Ketchup! This is a pretty classic fixture in many Quebec homes for the fall season. I remember pouring my Tante Yvette's homemade ketchup on everything over the Holidays. So scrumptious and nostalgic! I can't wait to see my brother over thanksgiving to give him a jar. He'll be so surprised!
 Here I am working away over the hot oven.
I got the recipe from KetchupRecipe.com
 The recipe calls for wrapping the pickling spice in cheesecloth. I didn't have any, so i used a loose leaf tea bag instead. I had to handle it pretty delicately, but it worked out fine.
Green Ketchup

Ingredients:
* 24 medium (6 pounds or 2.5 kg) green tomatoes, chopped
* 15 medium (3 pounds or 1.5 kg) onions , chopped
* 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
* 3 cups (750 ml) white vinegar (here i used cider vinegar)
* 2 cups (500 ml) granulated sugar
* 6 Tablespoons (90 ml) mixed pickling spices, tied in cheesecloth (tea bag worked ok, but it's delicate)

Preparation:
In a large bowl, alternative layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand for at least 8 hours or overnight. Rinse; drain well. Combine

vegetables with vinegar, sugar, and spice bag.
In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently until slightly thickened. Pour

into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Yield: Approximately 12 cups ( 3 Liters)
Recipe Source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong (Hippocrene Books) via ketchuprecipe.com

2 comments:

'Xander Labayen said...

i am off to try this with all my leftover tomatoes in my garden.. thanks for the inspiration..

Hey There! said...

Good Luck with it Xander! Finally a use for all the left over tomatoes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...